Friday, June 11, 2010

Life in the UK

Our Driveway

The weather here has been cool and cold. It has rained all but one day since we have been here, but it just rains in spurts. We keep our umbrellas with us even if it doesn’t look like rain. I am not sure if I brought enough warm clothes for me, but I do have enough for Paul. It doesn’t get dark here until after 9pm and it starts getting light about 4am. Paul going to bed at his usual time is hard some nights and he has been getting up about 5:45 – 6am. His travel bed and high chair are working our great. He is still getting used to his doorframe jumper. He only plays in it about 10 min and he is ready to get out. Here is something funny….we only have one doorway that has a frame to put it on. We have these very old thick wooden beams and half of a tree that goes across the ceilings in all the rooms. I have a feeling the sheet rock has been worked around the old stuff. They give the rooms character.


Paul loving his first bath in UK

Yesterday was very cool. I had my jacket on when we went for our walk and I had Paul wrapped up in a blanket. A couple of days ago we walked down a back street close to the house and came across a place called Chesapeake Mill it looked like a cute place to look around, but many of the shops are small and don’t accommodate strollers so I have to wait to explore them when John is with me and can help carry Paul. We walked further down the street and came across and old church called Parrish of St Nicholas. It had an old cemetery to the sides of it. We weren’t sure what denomination, but our guess is Catholic. I would like to go on the grounds another day and look at some the stones and see what years they are from.




Paul after his walk

We have walked around the town square every day at least once, sometimes twice a day. In the evenings when John gets home, we go and pick up a few groceries. I went in the two hardware stores yesterday and they had a lot of interesting things in them. I was looking for ice trays, but had no luck. I am really missing ice. I don’t think they have a lot of it here since the house doesn’t have ice trays and I have not been successful finding them yet. Our frig is very small and you can only put a very small pitcher of tea in it. I can drink that in no time, and then you have to make another and get it cold for dinner. The hardware store had camping equipment. Yes they do camp here. When we were driving here from London on Tuesday, we passed several motor-home and a car pulling a trailer.


               
Walking around town

The walkway outside our window is providing entertainment for me. Every day, I see something new. A couple of days ago I saw a horse by the creek where John was standing in the picture. Two girls must have ridden him there and was giving him a break. Yesterday it was raining and a girl waking by stopped to look at something and I went over to the window to see what she was looking at and it was a hedgehog. A pretty big one. My sister had one for a pet and it was named toothpick, but I don’t remember hers being that big. I hope to see the ones in our garden soon.



Living here reminds me a lot of living in Spain. They also have neighborhood markets and people do a lot of walking over there. I only had a washer in my Spanish apartment like here. Many similarities.

5 Things I miss

1. Ice

2. Dryer

3. Rocking Chair for Paul

4. Telephone

5. Unlimited Internet


5 Things I love about here

1. Best fresh bread ever

2. Had the best yogurt this morning for breakfast

3. Love the Town Square

4. Love the fact that there are sidewalks so you can walk everywhere

5. The village is so cute

No comments:

Post a Comment